Monday 5 May 2014

Review: BarryM Gelly Hi-Shine 'Sugar Apple'

Yes, another nail post. Sorry, not really.

The biggest fan of Barry M nail polishes I am not but the one and only Gelly Hi-Shine I picked up last year in the shade Pomegranate did impress me. After seeing swatches of the new pastel shades which have been added to the line, it was love! Sugar Apple was the one that grabbed my attention most but nothing prepared me for what I felt when I first laid eye's on it in person. Dramatic? Of course. In my ever growing nail polish collection I have similar shades. Some people might did say 'they're the same, you don't need it!' but what do they know.

What make's this different to what I already own is the amount of white in the base. It's vibrant yet muted at the same time. So it's safe to say the colour is a hit but the formula? Don't even get me started. Yes it has the same thick consistency as Pomegranate which didn't bother me in the slightest, I quite liked it but what it lacks is the same self levelling effect. Pastel shades usually are on the streaky side due to the amount of white added but Sugar Apple is possibly the worst pastel I've ever tried. Another down side is the finish. It's no surprise that it isn't overly glossy as pastels generally don't have that amazing shiny finish you get from dark shades but it kinda takes away from the whole 'Gelly' finish Barry M were going for.

So even though I loathe the formula, I love the colour too much to stop using it but if you know of any dupes please let me know.

What are your thoughts on the new Gelly Hi-Shine's?

Barry M Gelly Hi-Shine Nail Paints, 3.99 from Superdrug and Boots

Follow me: Twitter | Bloglovin' | SheSaidBeauty | Instagram

[Click to enter my Klorane giveaway]

8 comments:

  1. This is such a pretty colour! Reminds me of Essie's Mint Candy Apple, such a shame about the formula that's always disappointing and so annoying when that happens :( x

    Sarah @ sarahlouxo.com xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a lovely colour. It's a pity about the formula! I've never tried the jelly collection, I'm kind of intrigued!

    Corinne x
    www.skinnedcartree.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should, they're really lovely. Probably best sticking with the darker shades though.
      xo

      Delete
  3. Aww such a shame as the colour is beautiful! I was thinking of getting this one too! xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shame, I know what you mean about the white base but the colour is really pretty!

    Ila x

    http://cleanserblog.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Weirdly it isn't chalky but the formula is still a nightmare.
      xo

      Delete