Monday 25 November 2013

Affordable Hair Care Part 1: Palmers Strong Roots Spray & Repairing Conditioner

A few weeks back while sorting through all my hair care bits I realised I didn't really own anything you can pick up in the likes of Boots or Superdrug for less than a fiver. The only reason I can think of for this is because for the longest time I've been trying to get away from hair products containing sulfates, parabens etc and completely ditched the 'drugstore'. My scalp has calmed down quite a bit over the last few months, it's still dry and easily irritated but I decided it was time to try out a few products which are affordable and easy to get hold of. Palmers body products are loved by many but I'd never heard much about their hair care which instantly made me curious when deciding on a brand to go for, I also love coconut so it was an obvious choice.  

I bought both products (and a few more, I'll review them soon) from Superdrug. They were, and still are on a 3 for 2 offer.

Palmers Coconut Oil Repairing Conditioner, 250ml, 2.99: I need to point out that this conditioner is for fine, limp hair. It doesn't state this on the website so just be careful if you're placing an order online. My hair isn't fine but can be quite limp once straightened as it's so thick and heavy. With any conditioner, I clip my hair up for around 5 minutes while I get washed and if I'm not in a rush I'll brush it through with either my Denman Be-Bop or Tangle Teezer. The texture is on the thick side and spreads easily over the hair which made me think it was going to be very moisturising and heavy but I couldn't get my detangling brushes through it as easily as I can with the Macadamia Deep Repair Masque but when you compare the prices and the fact Palmers Repairing Conditioner isn't a mask, I wasn't expecting miracles. When rinsing the conditioner I noticed my hair didn't have much 'slip' to it, my hair felt REALLY clean where the conditioner had been which is obviously why it's best suited to fine, limp hair. Once out of the shower though I was able to brush my hair without sectioning it off or using any detangling products and my hair smelt amazing! I'm sick of my hair smelling nice when first washed then the scent disappearing after I've straightened it but this stuff sticks around till the next wash. Every time I move my head I can smell coconut, it's gorgeous. Is it the best conditioner I've tried? No but I bloomin' love it! I'm able create big waves without my hair looking lank or dropping halfway through the night and it smells like coconut which is always a winner where I'm concerned. I've even ordered another tube. People with fine hair will love this but if you're like me and have a heavy lions mane it's still great at smoothing frizz in a way that won't add any more weight to your hair plus it adds the most gorgeous shine.

Palmers Strong Roots Spray, 150ml, 3.49: I really wasn't sure how I was going to get on with this product but I loved the idea of it. It claims to promote healthy hair growth, moisturise  hair and scalp, soothe tightness and itch as well as refreshing hair in between washes. In my head I thought it was going to be a thick oil and couldn't understand how it was going to soothe and moisturise without making my hair oily but I'm so glad I decided to try it, it's brilliant! Just like the conditioner it's scented with coconut but with the addition of pure peppermint and eucalyptus to stimulate the scalp. At first I found the scent quite odd but it's definitely grown on me and once on my hair it smells like coconut only. I can't smell any peppermint after a few minutes. After washing/conditioning my hair I part my hair roughly into 6 sections and spray once or twice along each parting directly onto my scalp. I then massage it in with my fingers before brushing from roots to ends. It doesn't make my hair oily at all but if you over-do it I'm sure the roots could end up looking a bit slick. Once I've worked it into my scalp I can feel the tingle, it only lasts for a couple of minutes but really makes my scalp feel more comfortable and fresh. I have no idea if it promotes healthy hair growth but it adds the most amazing shine and when paired with the Repairing Conditioner I'm able to create a lot more volume at the roots.

By no means are they the best I've ever tried but both products are affordable, free from sulfates and parabens, allow me to create styles that last all day without dropping flat and make my hair smell great for days.

Have you tried any hair care products from Palmers?

Both products are available from Superdrug

Follow me: Twitter | Bloglovin' | SheSaidBeauty | Instagram

4 comments:

  1. These both sound amazing, I didn't even realise that Palmer's did hair products! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Argh the root spray sounds really lovely!! I love coconut scented products! xx

    Gemma | Miss Makeup Magpie

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It smells a bit funky at first but once it settles it's just coconut. :) It's a lovely product.
      xo

      Delete