Sunday 7 April 2013

What's In My Makeup Bag: Emily Has Dimples

When Fran first asked me to take part in her makeup bag series, we ended up sending several emails back and forth as I didn't know which makeup bag to write about! Call me a hoarder, I am one (though I like to think I am progressing towards a more streamlined collection with regular spring cleaning) but my makeup is spread over three different areas- my storage, my 'getting ready' bag and my travel makeup bag- my 'top up' bag if you like. I have to look presentable as part of my job so I often have to add a bit here and there throughout the day to keep things looking fresh. I also prefer to carry more rather than less, I hate not being prepared. It is this bag I have decided to include, so read on to find out my makeup and beauty essentials for on the go!

The Basics

My mirror is one of the most important items for makeup on the go! This one was a free one I got from YSL- it's a rectangle shape framed with black patent leather and YSL embossed onto it. With this terrible weather I have been carrying around L'Occitane dry skin hand cream- I'm bit of a hand cream slut I must say, I am not particularly loyal to any brand, but this one is sample sized so isn't too bulky to carry.
The hair grips and cotton buds are always getting used, I rely on cotton buds to touch up any makeup smudges. I carry eyelash glue 'just incase' but I can't say I have had to use it yet. Soap and Glory 'Hand Maid' gel is an essential in both my makeup bag and my brush belt at work, I am a hygiene freak so always need to have clean hands. In my opinion, Hand Maid is the queen of antibacterial hand gels, not only is she pink but she's got a good scent too.

I always like to be able to have a spritz of perfume throughout the day. I favour smaller bottles of perfume so that they can be thrown in my bag and not be too heavy. My favourite brand of perfume is Jo Malone, I have several at home and tend to rotate them around, at the moment I am using Vanilla and Anise. It's definitely a winter scent so once the sun decides to make an appearance I'll be swapping it for something fruitier.

The colours and brands will vary, but doing my nails has become a bit of a habit on my train journeys. If it means I get to go to bed half an hour earlier the night before and do it on the train, then that's what I'll do! I'm on the search for a good base coat at the moment, but in terms of colours- I've been enjoying classic reds as well as British racing green- I love Illamasqua 'Throb', 'Glitterati' 'Kink' and Essie's 'Stylenomics.'

The Makeup

When a mascara begins to dry/run out a little, it gets moved into my this bag. They often don't have enough 'oomph' left in them to be used in the morning, but slightly older mascaras are great for topping up- my lower lashes especially loose product and definition throughout the day. Lancome Hypnose Drama is truly fantastic- the wand is big (but not too big), and the fibrous bristles cling on and coat every lash- the formula does a good job of keeping my stubborn straight lashes curled. Would definitely recommend. I use Collection's Fast Stroke liquid eyeliner to top up any smudges that may appear, this only happens if my eyes have been watering. This particular one is a stop gap- I find it uncomfortable when it dries and the brush is too fat.

As I mostly do my lipstick when I am out of the house, I carry a selection of lip pencils ready to cater for whichever colour I decide on. I carry a sharpener for when I need to sharpen them. I like to chop and change my lip colour depending on the season and my mood, I have pictured two recent favourites; Illamasqua lipstick in 'Immodest' from the recent I'mperfection collection- a bright neon coral, and MAC 'Rebel'- a deep plum which has been perfect this winter. I carry Korres Lip Butter because it acts as a great base coat for matte lipsticks.

Last but not least, Collection Lasting Perfection Concealer- this is probably my most used item pictured. It's one of the only products I feel lives up to its extensive 'blogger hype'. I find this blends really well and gives good coverage. It doesn't crease underneath my eyes and is a good colour match for my fair skin. If you haven't tried it yet then give it a go.
Thanks to Emily for giving us a peek in to her make up bag! :) The L'Occitane Shea Butter Hand Cream is my favourite and I'm now feeling the need to buy Lancome Hypnose Drama! You can find Emily's blog here or follow her on Twitter: @emilydimplesxo

6 comments:

  1. Ooh that Illamasqua lipstick looks beautiful! I really need to get my hands on a Korres Lip Butter too, I hear so many good things about them!

    Mollie xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I still haven't tried any Illamaqua lippys but when I finally do, I have a feeling I'll go for this one. :)
      xo

      Delete
  2. L'occitaine hand cream is an absolute must for me! It works so well, and the packaging is adorable. It fits almost anywhere too, and allows you to squeeze out every last drop!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I still havn't tried the collection concealer, i don't know why because its such a bargain! Nice to have a little nose at what other people carry around xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love having a look into other peoples makeup bags/handbags, so nosey! I didn't really get on with the Collection concealer but most people love it. Wish I did love it though, such a bargain.
      xo

      Delete