Wednesday 13 June 2012

Chanel Soleil Tan De Chanel Bronzing Make Up Base.

Usually I wont bother with bronzer, apart from nights out and that sort of thing but this one was different. Ever since its 'Bronze Universal' days I've wanted it. I would perv over swatches online and drool over the packaging at Chanel counters but could never justify buying it for myself. Why do I talk myself out of buying something I really want? Its not worth my while, I always end up giving in in the end and this time was no different. I've wanted to do this review for a couple of weeks now but put it off as I wanted to be as fair as possible.

The texture is nothng at all like I expected. Its a mousse/cream/solid bronzer and I've honestly never used another product that feels even slightly similar. Has anyone ever worked their way through a full pot of this? The texture along with the pigmentation makes me think it'd be almost impossible to use it up, I've been using it for weeks now and the surface is flat, not a dent in sight and the pot is huge compared to products from other brands which makes the price a bit easier to swollow.

Looking at the bronzer in the pot there is clearly some shimmer but it doesnt transfer on to the skin at all. At first I used Soleil Tan De Chanel to contour with my Real Techniques Contour Brush - Some days I loved it, some days it just looked awful. I've never in my life had such a love/hate relationship with an item of make up, I just dont understand how one day it can look gorgeous then the next day I look like I've applied it with a paint brush and without a mirror. So the next few days I used it in place of blush and once again I loved it. It warmed up my base, didnt look orange and just made me look really healthy BUT, I went back to hating how it looked. I wasnt doing anything differently, this bronzer just has a mind of its own.

Chanel Soleil Tan De Chanel comes in one shade which supposedly suits everyone. I cant see how this would be possible though, surely its not going to show up on darker skin and on the palest of pale its just going to look too orange. I have to say I'm really disappointed, I dont understand how so much hype surrounds it? Yes, when it decides to work well it looks lovely but £30 for a bronzer that just looks awful most of the time? No thanks.

Have you tried this? Whats your thoughts? I'll continue to use it but no doubt I'll pick up a different bronzer at some point. I've had my eye on Nars Laguna for ages, maybe it'll be the one.

14 comments:

  1. I have this too and i use to find it had a mind of it's own but i tend to use it under my foundation now and it's been working great.I do think it's a bit over hyped though.
    Nars Laguna is amazing, it's my favourite one, ever.
    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've tried it under foundation but it makes no difference on me, my foundation looks how it does without it underneath. Everyone seems to love Laguna, think thats my safest bet.
      xo

      Delete
  2. THANK GOD I READ THIS :) bit over excited there. I'm having a huuuuge make up splurge for my birthday and was eyeing up this one. Even without trying it I get what you mean about the love/hate, with it not being powder I expect some days it would cling to dry patches and others be ok. I'm really pale too so I will avoid because I don't aspire to look like an oompa loompa! Thanks hun!x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Its not even that it clings to dry patches, I expected it to but I havent had that problem. I cant explain what it does/how it looks when it doesnt work, its just baaaad! lol

      I'm sure theres better bronzers to spend your birthday money on :)
      xo

      Delete
  3. I've been umming and aaring over this for ages and I think your review has finally made my decision to not buy it. Everyone seems to have a love/hate relationship with it so I'll stick with my Benefit Hoola :) x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I'm probably the only blogger who has never tried Hoola. Yeah £30 for a love/hate product is just too much.
      xo

      Delete
  4. i've been tempted to buy it for ages!!

    it looks amazing!!!

    http://kellinasthoughts.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have this and have such a love/hate thing with it because of the application (sometimes I can get it to look amazing, other times, it just looks wrong on me!). You do get an enormous amount of product though as you mentioned x

    http://wewereraisedbywolves.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure the amount you get would last a lifetime, its huuuuge.
      xo

      Delete
  6. I've had my eye on this for a while and the fact that it requires a bot of work and still isn't perfect means I think I will just stick with my Hoola.
    x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really does. Some days its simple then other days I'm buffing my face like a mad woman and still not getting anywhere. I've tried so many brushes and found the Real Techniques Buffing Brush works best with it.
      xo

      Delete
  7. I second your thoughts sweetie but then again, I think most people have a love/hate relationship with that bronzer. It's so hyped but I don't really get why? It's definitely not one of my favorites... xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I dont get why either, disappointing. I doubt I'll reach for it again once a get my mitts on another bronzer.
      xo

      Delete